Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Always a mother

I have told my kids "once a mother always a mother". I don't know how not to be one. I just keep finding people or things to mother. I was happy to meet a woman in a public bathroom today cleaning off the counter and when I looked at her she said " oh such a mother thing to do isn't it?" I laughed because I realize so many mothers out there will clean up wherever they are because that is what they are used to. I don't cut my husbands food on his plate but I do pick up his shoes and socks and clear his plate from the table.. I can't sit still if I see a mess somewhere and no one is doing it. I know it may sound a little codependent. Remember that word? That was a buzz word some years back and all of us mothers who were great caretakers found a new diagnosis for our neurosis. I have always wanted to be a mother and have always taken care of so many. When my mom became ill when I was 12 I immediately took on the role as her caregiver. It didn't end for a long time. She moved in with us after her stroke in 1999 and lived with us for nearly 5 years. It was a bittersweet experience. I will always be grateful for the things it taught me and my children. The kids even appreciated the ways they learned to serve. I became her parent in many ways and had to give back what she gave to me for half of my lifetime. I look at all the things I mother, the neighbors dog ( we are taking care of for 5 weeks), flowers in the garden and fresh cut, older people that look like they need a hand, my grandchildren,my neighbors who don't like to cook,any project that needs done I take it on like a mother. You know how we kiss a scraped knee when it is hurt, or put on a band aid when someone falls.  What kind of things do we take on thinking we could make it better or put a band aid on to lighten someones load?

2 comments:

  1. Good job!! I am so looking forward to your vast knowledge. As you change hats know that the
    next one will have more flowers, less pins and lots of bows. The great thing is that once in a while you can take it off and just enjoy the sunshine. Sure do love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment, who is Faithskid?

    ReplyDelete