Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Self Inquiry On The Beach

There's nothing quite like the beach to bring me back to myself. I'm not sure what it is but sitting on the beach and watching the waves break one after another gives my mind freedom to contemplate. As I sat there this weekend (in San Diego) I thought about things that are working and things that are not working in my life. I don't mean the car or the dishwasher. I mean the workings of my being, my existence. I have  always taught that when something bothers you about someone you probably have a similar characteristic inside of you that you don't like or the flip side of that behavior. Or another way to look at it is if you are pointing a finger at someone there are 3 more pointing back to you . I took a look this weekend at different people in my life that bug me. I saw the parts of me that are very similar. I don't like those parts of myself and like to push them down inside. I've decided if I want to awaken to new parts of myself I have to love and embrace all parts especially those I don't like. Now when I see those people I am bugged with I feel gratitude. Grateful for who they are and for the gift of seeing myself in them. Do I still get bugged? Maybe , but if so it is because I'm bugged at myself. I want to be more whole and complete. I can't do that if I am not looking at all of me. It's a lot easier to see the parts of ourselves we don't like when we are judging others. Try it this week. Look at the people you get annoyed with or judge (if you are a non judger  I applaud you). See what it is inside of you that has a similar behavior or the opposite of it. Learn to love an accept that part and let God do the judging. We are imperfect beings trying so hard to perfect ourselves. When we look at all of who we are the good the bad and the ugly and love it all I believe we become more whole. Sometimes that's easier said than done. What would make you more whole and complete?

No comments:

Post a Comment