Monday, November 7, 2011

I think I have become the Chinese Dear Abbey, or I would call it Dear Ling Chi, which is the name my students gave me. I get about 3-4 messages a day from my students asking for advice or help with something. I have included a few of the messages and my responses, I may do this weekly so anyone can see how dear, and wonderful these young women are.
Dear  Joyce:
      How are you doing these days in America?I think it is cool!I am Cathy,do you remember me?I miss you very much!
       Maybe I impressed you as a quiet girl,i am silence,right? In fact,i am not a quiet girl,just due to i have poor spoken English,sometimes I can not express myself well in English or i do not know how to impress my feeling,my idea in English,yeah,so i just keep silence mostly in class time.
      Joyce,you know?i love you very much!you are kind,you communicated us with your true heart,you listened our idea carefully no matter good or bad they were!How wonderful !you like our common mom!please allow me call you mom here,"m-o-m!"
      Best wishes
Dear Cathy, I did not think of you as a quiet girl, more of a thoughtful girl. I was impressed with your comments in class and your ability to communicate with me and others. Your comments are kind and I appreciate your thoughts. I hope you will always feel free to express your thoughts openly. Joyce

Joyce.How are you?These days i was not happy and i missed you very much.Today is my mid-exam day.In the morning i took the English exam.In this exam I felt better.but in the afternoon,i took the java exam which is my major.i felt bad.I made up my mind to learn it from beginning although it may be very difficult,i must face up it bravely.
Yesterday,i called my parents and i called them every weekends.my mother asked me whether i had something hard in my study.i answered no.because i do not want them worry me.So i must study hard.But i always waste my time.i regretted very much,but i can not control myself and i hate myself like this!To improve this situation,i made plan each day,but i can not carry them out.i puzzled and confused.I think of the words you ever told me and tried myself to follow it,but i failed at last.i am not a good student,right?
Best wishes for you.love Helen
 
Dear Helen, 
, No you are not a bad student. The minute you label yourself as that you begin to believe it. If you are wasting time it is because you are having a hard time focusing on something you are not interested in. You might include in your daily plan to do something you like doing. I don't know what your hobbies are or what you are wasting your time on, but maybe it is something you really like to do. It would be good to include your parents in your feelings and thoughts. They love you and support you and want what is best for you I am sure. You might talk over with them what is happening with you. I wish I could help more but I encourage you to tell yourself you are a good student and you can and will carry out your plan. Your mind will believe what you tell it even if it does not feel true. Have a good day. Yours, Joyce

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience, going to China and having a chance to impact other lives - especially because they were so eager to learn from you. I know you made a lasting impact on them because that is who you are. I have enjoyed the journey with you and love to see they are keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete